Tuesday 18 August 2009

Broccoli Slaw

Broccoli Slaw 16b

The first time I saw this recipe I knew I'd love it. In fact, since my two men don't eat broccoli, despite my best efforts, I made up a whole bowlful for myself. This is a great extra to bring to the table. It is delicious in sandwiches but most often I make a bowl of it for the table when I'm serving ham (and I have visitors). It keeps well for a few days and is very easily put together. I make it ahead of time and just keep it, covered in clingfilm, in the fridge until needed.

P1120143b

Broccoli Slaw
(Adapted from Smitten Kitchen)

1 head broccoli
50g flaked almonds*
50g dried cranberries*
1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
*You can add more or less of these according to taste

Dressing:
60ml buttermilk
80ml mayonnaise
1 tblsp cider vinegar
1 tblsp maple syrup

Trim broccoli, cut into chunks then finely chop. I use a food processor and I throw in most of the stem.

Toss the chopped broccoli, almonds, cranberries, and red onion together in a large bowl.

Whisk the dressing ingredients in a small bowl with a pinch of salt.

Stir the dressing through the broccoli mixture. That's it!

Broccoli Slaw 19b
Blog Signature

4 comments:

  1. This is delicious but I've only just realised there's buttermilk in it. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's only 4 tbslp in the whole mix so by the time you take a small portion of it you would be consuming less than 1/2 a tblsp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is delicious!! would be grat to bring along to a bbq or whatever...could have eaten the lot, so much nicer than coleslaw!xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds really good! There's no end of broccoli love in our house, so we will be giving this a try.

    ReplyDelete