Monday 27 July 2009

July Daring Bakers: Milano Cookies

Milano Cookies

The July Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Nicole at Sweet Tooth. She chose Chocolate Covered Marshmallow Cookies and Milan Cookies from pastry chef Gale Gand of the Food Network.

I chose to do the Milano Cookies as they looked like just the sort of thing I would enjoy with a cup of coffee in the morning. I actually had intended to give the mallows a go as well but I ran out of time with being on holidays and, well, I didn't want to make up huge quantities of mallows when I didn't envisage anyone but ourselves being about to eat them (the freezer is brimming over with food at the minute). The recipe makes a HUGE quantity - when it says 3 dozen it is at least 3 dozen sandwiched cookies.

I was really pleased with these the day I made them. The biscuit was delicious - light and crispy, and you can never go wrong with a ganache filling. However, these didn't store for me. I put them in an airtight container in the fridge and the next morning they were soft. I don't know if it was because I put them in the fridge (which I don't normally do - I don't know what posessed me) or if my container wasn't airtight or if it was just the cookies themselves. I do know a few other daring bakers experienced the same thing.

But I stuck them in the freezer anyway, as I didn't want to waste them, and, hey, they taste good soft!! Not as good but I'm currently having one each morning with my coffee. They make nice dunking biscuits.

I haven't given up on these yet. They were really delicious if I could just find out how to keep them crispy. And they would be great for a party or other event where you want a large quantity of biscuits. I'll work on it!

Milano Cookies

Serves: about 3 dozen cookies

Method:

Biscuit:
12 tablespoons (170grams/ 6 oz) unsalted butter, softened
2 1/2 cups (312.5 grams/ 11.02 oz) powdered sugar
7/8 cup egg whites (from about 6 eggs)
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons lemon extract
1 1/2 cups (187.5grams/ 6.61 oz) all purpose flour

Cookie filling:
1/2 cup heavy cream
8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 orange, zested

1. In a mixer with paddle attachment cream the butter and the sugar.

2. Add the egg whites gradually and then mix in the vanilla and lemon extracts.

3. Add the flour and mix until just well mixed.

4. With a small (1/4-inch) plain tip, pipe 1-inch sections of batter onto a parchment-lined sheet pan, spacing them 2 inches apart as they spread.

5. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 10 minutes or until light golden brown around the edges. Let cool on the pan.

6. While waiting for the cookies to cool, in a small saucepan over medium flame, scald cream.

7. Pour hot cream over chocolate in a bowl, whisk to melt chocolate, add zest and blend well.

8. Set aside to cool (the mixture will thicken as it cools).

9. Spread a thin amount of the filling onto the flat side of a cookie while the filling is still soft and press the flat side of a second cookie on top.

10. Repeat with the remainder of the cookies.

Milano Cookie
Blog Signature

3 comments:

  1. That milano cookie has a perfect shape, what a lovely photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. these look delish!beats a hob nob anytime!thanks for your dinner help by the way, it turned out lovely!

    ReplyDelete