Saturday 20 June 2009

Seared Salmon and Singapore Noodles


The Nigella Cookalong has been resurrected and this was the first challenge chosen by 'ManicMummy'. When I bought Nigella Express at Easter I had earmarked this recipe to try sometime but the truth was I didn't think it would go down too well with my two men so I wan't sure how I was going to get round to it. So I was delighted to have to make it for the Cookalong.

True to form though, my two men surprised me and thoroughly enjoyed this meal so I'll be making it again in the future. Both recipes could be made independent of each other. The noodles don't even need anything to accompany them but are a quick, comforting dish on their own. Using madras curry powder to form coating on the salmon is delicious and is great when you want something hot but low effort and quick. It's also a great way of jazzing up a less flavourful piece of salmon.

I made my own curry powder for this recipe (gasp!) but only because I couldn't get Madras curry powder and I had all the ingredients to make it in my spice drawer. It really wasn't much hassle (although I don't reccommend doing it if you can get your hands on Madras curry powder) and now I have quite a potful so I won't be doing that for some time again. I was liberal with the cayenne since I like to be but you can be as restrained as you like.

SEARED SALMON WITH SINGAPORE NOODLES

INGREDIENTS

2 teaspoons medium Madras curry powder
1/4 teaspoon table salt
1 teaspoon sugar
4 salmon fillets, approx. 200g each
1 x 15ml tablespoon garlic oil

FOR THE NOODLES:
250g vermicelli rice noodles
50g dried shrimp (I couldn't get these so I used small cooked prawns and chopped them up)
125ml Chinese cooking wine
1 x 15ml tablespoon garlic oil
100g finely sliced Chinese leaf
125g baby corn, sliced into thin rounds
2 spring onions, finely sliced
2 teaspoons medium Madras curry powder
1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
250ml chicken stock (from concentrate)
3 x 15ml tablespoons soy sauce
150g beansprouts
4 x 15ml tablespoons chopped fresh coriander

METHOD

1.Mix the curry powder, salt and sugar in a wide, shallow dish and dredge the salmon in this, turning the pieces all over in the rub.

2.Heat the oil in a heavy-based pan and cook the salmon fillets on a high heat for about 2–3 minutes a side, searing the sides of the fillets too if they are very thick.

3.Put the rice noodles into a bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave them to soak for 4 minutes and then drain them.

4.Soak the dried shrimp in the wine, then heat the oil in a wok and fry the Chinese leaf, baby corn and spring onions for a few minutes.

5.Add the curry powder and finely chopped ginger to the wok, and then the chicken stock and soy sauce. Pour in the shrimps, with their wine, and the drained, soaked noodles, tossing and shaking everything all together in the wok.

6.Finally, stir in the beansprouts and give a final toss, before turning out into a bowl and sprinkling with the coriander.

Madras Curry Powder

Ingredients (1/2 pound)

8 tablespoons coriander seeds
6 tablespoons cumin seeds
1 tablespoon mustard seeds
1 tablespoon fennel seed
4 tablespoons ground cinnamon
8 tablespoons peppercorns
1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon whole cloves
2 tablespoons ground cardamon
2 tablespoons turmeric
2 tablespoons ground ginger
1 tablespoon cayenne (or less if less heat is desired)

Method:

1. In a dry skillet over very low heat, place the coriander, cumin, mustard and fennel seeds. Roast the seeds gently, shaking the pan occasionally, until they begin to pop. When about half the seeds have popped, add the cinnamon, peppercorns, nutmeg, cloves, cardamom, turmeric, ginger and cayenne.

2. Continue to heat and stir gently until the mixture is quite hot but not burnt. Pour into a dry blender or food processor, or use a mortar and pestle. Grind into a fine powder. Pour into a clean, dry jar, seal, and let it cool before using


Blog Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment