Sunday 22 March 2009

Buttermilk Birthday Cake


I have been looking for an opportunity to decorate a cake in fondant for some time now. So when my husband and I decided to host Mother's Day lunch for my mother-in-law I saw my chance. The main reason for the cake was to practise my decorating skills so I wasn't going to opt for a fancy cake. I just wanted something sturdy enough to hold the icing which also tastes good. After some deliberation on Nigella's forum (http://www.nigella.com/) I opted for the buttermilk birthday cake out of How To Be A Domestic Goddess. I baked this on Friday eve and then on Saturday night, after I got my little one to bed, I spent the evening decorating it. And I am delighted with the results. It took a lot longer than I had anticipated but I imagine that was my lack of experience. It is far from perfect and I'll have to make some inquiries as to how to iron out a few wee problems but all in all it was a success. At least to look at - I still have to serve it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment