Saturday 28 February 2009

Fruity Lamb Tagine


I am blessed with a son whose will eat just about anything. Apart from licking the spatula after I've been baking, this seems to be his favourite meal. Now for all conisseurs of Moroccan food this does not adhere to the strict rules of making a tagine (firstly, it has been made in a casserole dish) but it is for a baby whose palate can't quite manage ras-el-hanout or preserved lemons! And it is an extremely tasty alternative if I do say so myself. It may also suit someone who would like to give a tagine a go but has a more reserved palate.


Firstly, I sweated an onion in a casserole dish then added about 500g of diced lean* lamb which I had dusted in a tablespoon of plain flour. Then I added a tin of chopped tomatoes, about 150ml of chicken stock**, 200g of chopped apricots, 50g of sultanas and 1 tsp of mixed dried herbs. For the mixed herbs I used a mixture of basil, thyme and oregano simply because that's what I had in the cupboard. These would not be the herbs of choice for a tagine but I needed something mellow that my sons taste buds could cope with. The apricots can be as big or finely chopped as you like depending on your dinner guests. The whole thing then went in the oven at 180 degrees for a couple of hours (I had it in for 2hrs today). Obviously, the longer you have it in the more tender your lamb will be but do keep checking it to make sure it hasn't dried up. Serve with rice.


*When choosing meat for babies it needs to be lean.

**You may need to add some water when the dish is in the oven if it starts to dry up.

No comments:

Post a Comment